Monday, January 10, 2011

Smallish Blog Post 1 - Technology is Ecological

Neil Postman said, "Technological change is not additive; it is ecological" in his article titled Five Things We Need to Know About Technology Change. By this he means that a piece of new technology is not just added to a small portion of the world, but that it changes the entire world.  At first, I thought Neil Postman's statement was exaggerated, but then as I pondered on the statement, I realized that he was right.  I applied the statement on a personal level.  Nearly every time that I learn a new technology, I end up using it in several different aspects of my life and not just for what I learned to use it.  As an example, I took the laptop computer.  At first, I thought that a laptop computer was just for doing school assignments and playing games.  Then as I learned the power and capabilities of it, I started to use it in more parts of my life.  Now I use my laptop computer in some way for almost everything I do.  As one reflects on Neil Postman's statement about new technology, they will recognize the truthfulness of the statement and perhaps realize new ways in which the technology they have can change their life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment